Nicknamed “The Bomb” by those who have had them these Cheesy Sticks are perfect road trip, street walking and/or street fair munching type of food; excellent picnic or party fare served alongside the salads, and btw, we’ve found these to be an excellent trick of a treat for Halloween, as well.
I originally tasted a similar cheesy stick years ago at a tiny drive by neighborhood store. A few dozen were made per day, the customers were known to reserve orders and even drive out of their way to take a chance on buying what might be left!
The little store closed and needing my cheesy fix I was inspired to modify a favorite roll recipe; after testing my idea many times over I have found these to be a definite crowd pleaser however they are served.
Makes 8 cheesy sticks
- 9 oz (or 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) Bread Flour
- 1/4 cup more flour for kneading
- 1 packet Rapid Rise yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Diastatic Malt Powder (or sugar)
- 3 ozs. warm water (or 6 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Egg Substitute
- In a workbowl with a dough hook, add bread flour, yeast, salt and malt powder, mix together.
- In a 2 cup measure with spout, add water, oil and the egg substitute. With the machine turned on, drizzle in the water mixture. Process until a ball forms and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Using the last 1/4 cup flour (for kneading), turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic – 6-8 minutes total.
- Cover and let dough rise until nearly double in size – about and hour.
THE CHEESE & FORMING THE STICKS:
- 1-1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella (whole milk is best for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup microplane grated Pecorino
- NOTE: Grana Padano or a mixture is great too
- 2-3 tablespoons extra egg substitute to help adhere cheese to the sticks
- Non-stick Butter spray
- Mix the cheeses together in a bowl – set aside.
- On a cookie sheet with sides, pour 2-3 tablespoons egg substitute, add one cup of the cheese mixture and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Punch dough down after is has doubled in size. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Spray a flat cookie sheet with butter spray – set aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- On a floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-10 inch long rope.
- Place the rolled dough onto the extra egg substitute/cheese mixture and coat.
- Transfer the sticks to the flat, sprayed cookie sheet.
- Coat the top of each piece with the remaining cheese, and gather it around the edges.
- Lightly spray the cheese sticks with butter spray, cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise 45 minutes.
- Bake 11-to 12 minutes – or until golden.
- Take out of the oven and lightly spray eash stick with butter spray again.
- Place on a cooling rack ASAP – to stop any sticking to the pan.